Re: TR6 front suspension on TR3

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 front suspension on TR3
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:03:09 EDT
In a message dated 9/21/2005 2:13:33 PM Central Standard Time,
vinttr4@geneseo.net writes:
> If you take off the lower arms of the TR3 (or TR4), you find that
> they were mounted to the chassis on a rod or spindle or stud or
> whatever the proper term is. It is welded into the front spring
> tower. That piece must be cut off in order to make the conversion,
> and the hole in the new brackets on the ends of the lower a-arms must
> end up in the same place as the spindle used to be. To reverse the
> process, and replace this spindle, could be done, I suppose, but it
> would be exceedingly difficult. To get them in the right place, right
> length, etc will take more than a simple welding job.

And the parts are available through the usual sources.  It is certainly
doable by someone handy with a welder and grinder and will give you the
adjustability lacking in the TR2-4.  But, as Randall pointed out, with it comes
a bit
more caster which may be desired or not depending on your goals.

Reversing could also be done but unless you are going concours why bother?

Dave