RE: trickle charge optima battery

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List), tr3driver@comcast.net
Subject: RE: trickle charge optima battery
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:33:23 +0000
Randall,

AHA!  This makes much more sense to me.  I suppose the high rate chargers (i.e.
not alternators) may run at a higher voltage then the automobile alternator.

What is the nominal output voltage of a modern alternator ?

I 'd have to check, but I seem to recall that when I set my voltage regulator
for my generator on my 4A, it was set to regulate ABOVE 15v, it might even have
been slightly above 15.5v.  15.8v rings a bell....  OF course this is measured
with the regulator cut-out of the rest of the electrical system.  As soon as
there is a load, such as charging the battery, the voltage will drop.  I would
strongly suspct that the voltage at the battery terminal will NEVER reach the
voltage to which the regulator was adjusted....  Do you agree?

-Tony