Re: trickle charge optima battery

To: spamiam@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, tswrace@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: trickle charge optima battery
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:13:18 EDT
In a message dated 9/22/2005 3:08:23 PM Central Standard Time,
spamiam@comcast.net writes:
> >It was recommended to me when I bought my Opitma to only trickle charge
> >it.  Maybe my electric fan is why my Optime losses it's charge
> >periodically.  I trickle charge mine overnight.
>
> Yes, they apparently can not tolerate high charging rates.  But it confuses
> me.
>
> Your charging system will be happy to dump MANY amps into the battery very
> happily.  The Optima company does not say anything about that!
>
> If it is bad to charge the battery in the garage at too high a rate, then it
> will be WORSE on the road where there is engine heat and MORE amps from your
> generator or alternator.  (Even my 22 amp generator puts out more amps than
> my charger, and my brother's 70 amp alternator puts out triple that!!!)

Quite the contrary, the major concern about fast charging a lead-acid battery
is the breakdown of water into oxygen and hydrogen.  On the road these gasses
will be swept away by the breeze passing through the engine bay.  If you have
an external charger attached to the system you are quite likely to be in a
closed garage where these combustible gasses can accumulate.

Also, if the charger used is of the voltage regulating type excess gasses
will not be produced and the car's alternator is equipped with just such a
device
whereas your home charger is likely not.

Dave