RE: RE:throttle shaft bushings

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RE:throttle shaft bushings
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 00:11:46 -0700
> >The bushings didn't wear but the throttle shaft did?  I didn't know that
> could happen; how do you tell?
> Thanks, Paul<

Frank & Sandy Crowe replied :

> Yep, we checked the body with an an inside micrometer

For those lacking an inside mike, another way to check is to insert a new shaft
and check for play.

As Frank already mentioned, the carbs did not originally have bushings, the
shaft ran directly in the aluminum casting.  The brass bushings are a service
part, you have to machine the carb body to accept them.

I don't claim to understand it, but aluminum is a very strange metal and it
sometimes does odd things.  Pure aluminum is so soft that almost everything we
call aluminum is really aluminum alloy, and the alloying elements can have a
large effect on it's properties.  The other thing is that aluminum exposed to
air almost instantly oxidizes to aluminum oxide, which is very hard.  Also known
as corundum, it's commonly used as an abrasive.  It's also the principle
component of both ruby and sapphire (small impurities give them their color).

Without a protective coating of aluminum oxide, our carbs would have fallen to
dust many years ago.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org