RE: Synthetic oil - experiences?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Synthetic oil - experiences?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:50:03 -0700
> My question is not related to LBCs directly, but wondering about using
> synthetic oil and any advantages to this oil.

I use Valvoline full synthetic in all my engines, both LBC and non-LBC.  Change
oil about half as often (but change the filter every time).  Seems to work for
me, but of course doesn't prove much.

The one hard piece of evidence I can offer : My Chevy was burning about 1qt/1000
miles until I switched to the Valvoline synthetic, then it went down to about
1qt/5000.  Over the next 100,000 miles or so, it slowly went back up, but was
still no more than 1qt/2500 before it finally broke.

One other comment, Castrol won a court case here in the US that effectively lets
them sell anything that has come through a modern refinery as "synthetic" oil.
I wouldn't waste my money on Castrol synthetic ...

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org