Synthetic oil - experiences?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 6pack@autox.team.net,
Subject: Synthetic oil - experiences?
From: Bill & Skip Pugh <anabil007@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:31:38 -0700
>  > My question is not related to LBCs directly, but wondering about using
>>  synthetic oil and any advantages to this oil.
>
>I use Valvoline full synthetic in all my engines, both LBC and
>non-LBC.  Change
>oil about half as often (but change the filter every time).  Seems to work for
>me, but of course doesn't prove much.

I have used synthetic  in all my cars for many  years, the  1980
Mazda 626 I gave to my daughter ran almost  300K  miles before giving
up.  I mostly use Mobil One in the "newer" cars, in the  Toyota
MiniVan  I  have averaged over 27 MPG for the life of the car ... so
far ... I change the  oil and filter every six months regardless of
mileage.

For the Triumphs, TR3, TR6, I go with 10-40 Redline, and WIX filters
(#51516 fits both  spin on adapters) Like  Randall  I  change
filters  more  often  than oil.
One  word of caution,  I have  been advised  by engine builders who I
trust completely, NOT  to  use  synthetic oil  for the  first  5000
miles  on a complete engine rebuild, it  is  so slippery it does not
allow the  rings to seat properly ...

--
Bill  Pugh
1957 TR3 TS16765L