It's the little things

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: It's the little things
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:20:03 -0400
This summer I've spent time, when available, tracking down the source
of a rough idle. I changed the carb diaphragms (a couple suspect
bits), new wires, new plugs, new cap and rotor, removed the Crane
electronic ignition and re-installed the points. None of this had any
real effect. I inspected the carbs for synch; spot on.

The other day I had a bit of time and checked the valve lash. A few
of the valves were "tight" on clearance, so they were adjusted to
0.010". I also checked compression, just to make sure. One cylinder
is down a bit, but nothing major. (120, 115, 120, 120, 105, 130).
Last night I had a chance to take it for a ride and what a
difference! Smooth idle; no lumps, no hunting, no stalling.

I'm a happy boy.
--
Phil Barnes (peb3@cornell.edu)
'71 TR6  CC61193L (28 year owner)