Re: TR3 sidecurtain boot storage

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 sidecurtain boot storage
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:22:39 -0700
shrack04@netzero.net wrote:

>How do the other TR3 guys haul their sidecurtains when not on the doors?

I put them in the boot.  I start with the drivers side curtain, brackets
up and towards the tank.  I have a strip of masonite about 3" x 30" that
protects the fibreboard from being poked by the brackets.  You have to
insert the top of the curtain first tucking in in under the turn signal
light boots then lay it flat.  The top of the curtain is parallel to the
rear of the boot, i.e. only one bracket is touching the front edge of
the boot compartment.  I have a couple of short lengths of grey foam
waterpipe insulation (slitted) that  go over each bracket.

The passenger side curtain then goes in, bracket down but again pointing
to the tank.  It is offset a bit to one side compared to the d/s curtain
so the brackets do not foul one another.  The foam pieces keep the
brackets from rubbing against the vinyl covering on the opposite
curtain.  I keep the sliding windows open to reduce the chance of
damage, usually store something small in the resulting opening.

I then use a sheet of thin Luan plywood cut in a shape sort of like the
boot floor but a bit smaller.  Has the cutouts for the wheel wells and a
cutout for the bracket at the rear center of the boot interior.  This
rests on top of the curtains and allows me to pile quite a bit of stuff
on top without fear of damaging the curtains as it spreads the load around.

Okay, it's a PITA but does result in a lot of usable boot space after
the curtains are in.  I almost never use the things but on long trips
where rain is possible you just about have to have them and the top along.

Pictures and additional detail available if anyone really cares to know
more.

Geo Hahn