Re: 1980 TR7 questions

To: The Barneck Family <dougbee@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: 1980 TR7 questions
From: Jim Barbuscia <jimbar@centurytel.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:36:27 -0700
I used to own an 1980 TR7 Spider and know quite a bit about them.

>I have a couple questions reagarding a 1980 TR7 spider that I am looking at.
>I am used to TR6s and am not familiar with the TR7s...
>
>There is a somewhat loud clicking noise upon acceleration.  I had my son
>listen and he thinks it is centered under the car.  When you let up on the
>accelerator, it goes away.  I tried the wiggle the back of the driveshaft, but
>it didn't seem to have any play in it.  It still seems like a u-joint issue.
>It doesn't seems to be coming from the rear end.  Any ideas?

I seem to remember the drive shaft had CV joints.

>This one is fuel injected but I know others have dual carbs.  why the
>difference?

Emissions. They ran cleaner.

>Also, this one accelerates briskly until you get up to 3000 rpm.  If you push
>on the accelerator more it justs cuts out like there is no gas.  It does the
>same thing in all of the gears (5spd).  Any ideas on the cause of the
>problem?

This could be a lot of things. One thing to remember is the fuel
injection on that thing has no "limp mode" when something goes out,
everything quits! The first suspect is the fuel filter then check
pressure then the pump. Spendy little bugger!

>Is this a desirable car and worth saving?  It has no rust through but the body
>has some surface rusting and needs a complete paint job, it starts and idles
>nicely, odo shows 59,000 miles, has the original rims, top and interior are in
>very good shape, power brake booster.  Any opinions?

It could be a cool car to have in the garage. As others have said it's
not really a desirable triumph and can be a money pit.

>What should I look for before purchasing it?  Asking price is a little over a
>$1000.

 The aluminum head is the real achelies heel of the TR7. Look for signs
of it ever haveing been overheated. If so plan on a new (or known good)
motor as well as fixing (completely) the cooling system. IMO 1k is top
dollar.

-jim
http://home.centurytel.net/~jimbar

===     http://www.vtr.org