How long run if car not charging at all?

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: How long run if car not charging at all?
From: Andrew Frink <tr4@drooartz.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:27:39 -0600
I haven't had any time to work on the TR4 lately, so I've been doing
theoretical work, trying to understand what I've been seeing with the
charging system. A question I have now--if your alternator/generator
was not charging at all, and you left home with a fully charged
battery, how far would you get?

 From the time I bought the car, to when I pulled it off the road, I
probably drove 100 - 150 miles over multiple trips. My guess is that
the alternator was providing some charge, since it lasted that long.
I'm wondering this, since in 3 weeks (if all goes well) we are moving
to a new house about 40 miles away. I'd prefer to drive the TR4 if
possible, and am trying to figure out if my chances are good of
making it if I give the battery a good, full charge.

-Drew

--
Andrew Frink
Salt Lake City, UT