RE: transmissions

To: "Triumph Email List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: transmissions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:50:36 -0700
> Will a TR4, 4A transmission bolt onto a 1960
> TR3A without too much alteration such as
> starter and driveshaft?

It's not too bad, assuming your TR3A really has 1960 parts and isn't a pre-TS50K
model that spent too long on a dealer's lot (or has been swapped with earlier
parts).  Driveshaft, starter and clutch can stay the same.  The new box is
slightly longer, so you may need to elongate (or drill new) holes in the
crossmember.  You may need to install longer studs into the back of the engine
block.  And if the transmission is from a TR4A, you'll need to change the front
cover on the transmission with the one from your TR3A.  Personally I like the
TR3A shift lever better but that's up to you.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org