Re: transmissions

To: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Subject: Re: transmissions
From: James Ruffner <jar@aldermanroad.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:18:53 -0400
Geo Hahn wrote:

> Jim & Kay wrote:
>
>> Will a TR4, 4A transmission bolt onto a 1960
>> TR3A without too much alteration such as starter and driveshaft?
>> Thanks.  Jim
>

> If your commission number is greater than 50000 then I believe you are
> fine... if less than 50000 (early '59 which could have been sold as a
> '60) then you would have a starter problem.
>
> Geo Hahn

The only change between the -3s and -4s lies in the much older (not as
of Commission no. less than 60000) TRs that used what was called a "long
nose" starter.  This starter required a different bell housing, thus a
transmission misfit to starter.  However, I do not believe that this was
an issue with the -3As.

Cheers.

===     http://www.vtr.org