RE: transmissions

To: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@razzolink.com>,
Subject: RE: transmissions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:24:41 -0700
> Tr4 gearbox in a TR3A?
>
> Been there, done that wrote a web page
>
> www.tjwakeman.net/TR/gearbox_swap.htm

TeriAnn, are you sure about the TR6 gearbox being longer than the TR4 ?  I
know the front flange is thicker (as well as the rest of the case), but I
thought the flange to flange dimensions were the same.

There were actually several steps where the case got beefier.  I don't know
all the change points, but I believe one of them was during TR6 production,
perhaps when they rationalized with the Stag gearbox.  The Stag case was
still machined differently for the roller thrust bearings, but I believe the
castings became the same.

Anyway, the case of the gearbox in my TR3A originally came from a TR6 and I
just elongated the holes in the rear cross member to make it fit (along with
all the other mentioned modifications).  I didn't have to unroll the edge of
the crossmember.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org