RE: igition woes part deux

To: "JONATHAN MOODY" <themoody5@msn.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: igition woes part deux
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:51:06 -0700
> OK.  I ordered a new ignitor system and a flamethrower coil from TRF.

Why ?  Was the old one not working ?

> Could the timing be that far off even though I just swapped one
> ignitor for another?

Certainly worth double-checking the timing, IMO. In addition to the usual check,
I'd check :
1) that the timing mark is still close to TDC, by looking down the #1 plug hole
and checking the piston top.

2) That #1 is firing on the compression stroke and not the exhaust stroke.

3) That the firing order is right.

>  Any thoughts?

Have you checked that the carbs have fuel in them ?  Or tried squirting a little
starting fluid in them ?

Also, how far can you pull a spark from a disconnected plug lead ?  If you can't
get at least 3/16", the plugs may not fire under compression.  Have you checked
for spark at all of the plugs ?

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org