TR6: aftermarket VB steering rack

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6: aftermarket VB steering rack
From: Greg <one_second_zero@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:04:10 -0700 (PDT)
OK, this is getting frustrating.  I bought a new TR6 steering rack from
Victoria British some time ago for my ongoing suspension project.  In typical
VB fashion, they never mention any differences between the new rack and the
orignal rack and I got suckered in by the sale price.  So you would assume that
the new rack is made indentically to the original.  Right?  Nah.   So I'm
finally ready to fit the new rack with my new Goodpart solid steering rack
mounts and I find that the new rack diameter is slightly larger than the
original steering rack.  That means that the Goodpart solid mounts won't quite
fit around it.  Has anyone else purchased one of these aftermarket racks (made
in Argentina) and did you run across any issues like this?

One solution would be to put shims between the two halves of the solid mounts
so the mounts mate up together.  In other words, compensate with shims for the
slightly larger diameter of the rack.  I guess when using the rubber mounts,
they have enough give and flexibility that they can deform around the slightly
thicker rack diameter.   Is anyone out there using the aftermarket quick ratio
steering rack and did you experience any of this?

The other option would be to go back to the orignal rack and get it rebuilt and
chalk this up to learning to never do business with VB again.  I've had this
same thing happen on so many "original" parts from them.   You should see the
piece of crap steering U-joint they sent me when I thought I was ordering an
original part.  Its such poor quality that I won't even use it.

Thanks,
Greg H
Denton, TX

===     http://www.vtr.org