Re: steering shaft end play

To: Phil Nase <nase@ptd.net>
Subject: Re: steering shaft end play
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:03:42 -0500
Do not cheap out on this spot.
Use a new bolt, grade 5 at least and a nyloc nut.
1/4 x 28 as per OEM.
No 1/4 x 20 stainless bolts here please.
If this bolt loosens up or the nut comes off, the bolt will work out and
hit the frame. Usually on a hard turn, once it gets jammed into the
frame, you don't steer or you jerk it the other way and loose control.
It has not happened to me but I did buy a wrecked 69, wrecked because
the bolt came out and hit the frame.
I also know of a guy who rolled his Bugeye because the bolt came out,
hit the frame and he jerked the wheel the other way, lost control and
rolled it on a curve.
Check those bolts at every oil change please.
As Phil said, it should slip in with little effort or just a very slight
tap. Do not hammer it  because something is not lined up if you have to
beat it in. There is a slot for the bolt. It the bolt is tight, there
should be no play in the steering column.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ