Re: [TR] TR3A Manifold removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3A Manifold removal
From: "Lou Metelko" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:15:25 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Triumph TR2" <triumphtr2@direcway.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 5:14 PM
Subject: [TR] TR3A Manifold removal

 Right now, all nuts / clamps have been removed and the studs which
interconnect the manifolds are missing, but the intake is still solidly in
place - which leads to...

- how do I best separate them from the block without doing any damage i.e.
how much force is safe, and where should it be applied?

>   3) I'm sure there are archived discussions about coating or painting
exhaust manifolds, but I'm not having any success finding them at the
moment - what kind of prep should I do, and is there a recommended high temp
paint to use?

Cameron:

There are four studs across the top with the small bridge pieces, one stud
on either end of the exhaust manifold and two studs down under with larger
bridge pieces.  If you have all removed, the two manifolds should easily
pull free of the head.  If you want to pull free just the intake there is a
bolt beneath each carburetor throat that ties the two manifolds together.  I
removed just the intake off the TR2 yesterday, glass bead blasted and
reinstalled just this morning.  When you reinstall be sure the larger bridge
pieces on the bottom solidly catch both manifolds.

I did not remove the exhaust manifold for fear of breaking the three studs
that hold on the exhaust pipe.  I can offer no advise on painting the
exhaust manifold but the glass bead blasting sure made the intake look good.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

===     http://www.vtr.org