RE: [TR] TR3A Manifold removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3A Manifold removal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 15:43:51 -0800
> There are four studs across the top with the small bridge pieces, one stud
> on either end of the exhaust manifold and two studs down under with larger
> bridge pieces.  If you have all removed, the two manifolds should easily
> pull free of the head.

In addition, there should be two locating pins sticking out of the head to
locate the intake manifold.  They sometimes corrode into the aluminum and
require some persuasion to remove.  If memory serves, last time this
happened to me I removed all the clamps and the connection to the headpipe,
then rocked the manifolds up and down to walk them off the studs & pins.

>  If you want to pull free just the intake
> there is a
> bolt beneath each carburetor throat that ties the two manifolds
> together.

I believe those were originally studs & nuts.  Since the studs thread into
the aluminum intake manifold and the nuts are exposed to exhaust heat, I
consider them riskier than the studs holding the exhaust manifold to the
headpipe.

OTOH after ruining the studs between the manifolds, I just left them out
with no apparent ill effect.
<g>

>  I can offer no advise on painting the
> exhaust manifold

Certainly the prettiest treatment I have seen is high-temp powder coat.  But
since I believe "rust" is the factory-supplied treatment, that's what I am
going to go with <g>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org