[TR] must be a fuel problem

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] must be a fuel problem
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:56:19 -0500
I've gotten several items on my car fixed-up so that it might crank easier.
When I tried it ON mONDAY, the starter fluid caused the engine's rpms to
race out-of-control for 10 seconds.  Now  I can say that I think the
ignition side of my starting is proably not the problem, I turn to the SU
H6's I rebuilt a year ago (and they have been on a shelf ever since.)  Of
course, your's truly rebuilt them like I was told by a manual, with new
needles, gaskets, rubbers, etc.  Someone on the list said that the idle
adjustment on them might need helping for an unstarted car.  Does anyone
know how I might help them?  In the mean time I will hopefully get my engine
running by dribbling in GAS or using a squirt bottle- NO MORE STARTING
FLUID!
    Today I hooked up a jumper cable for connecting a 700 amp battery.
Unfortunately, it turned over very slow.  I even  rotated the distr body
thinking this 'points adjustment' might improve things.  But nope, it still
didn't want to 'catch'.  Once, for about 5 seconds, it cranked at a normal
turn-over.  But most of the time, it would only turn over at a very slow
pace.  The positive jumper cable grew very warm at it's grounding location-
why is this?
    Tomorrow, I might go out and buy a 700 amp battery as I am tired of
trying to jump it with cables.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or answers to my questions?
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey, 60 TR3A
'I've never been under the hood of a running Triumph'

===     http://www.vtr.org