RE: [TR] must be a fuel problem

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] must be a fuel problem
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 21:46:10 -0800
> Someone on the list said that the idle
> adjustment on them might need helping for an unstarted car.  Does anyone
> know how I might help them?

What they meant was holding the throttles open slightly, in case the idle
opening was too small.  Obviously not the problem in your case.

>  In the mean time I will hopefully get my engine
> running by dribbling in GAS or using a squirt bottle- NO MORE STARTING
> FLUID!

Paul, the racing could not be due only to the use of starting fluid.  Even
starting fluid requires air to burn and that air had to be coming from
somewhere.  Either you've got a large air leak, or the throttles are open too
far.  As I said before you really should address this problem next, as otherwise
your engine will race out of control even on gas.

> The positive jumper cable grew very warm at it's grounding location-
> why is this?

That's because it did not make a good connection.  Heat (power) is current
squared times ohms, so 700 amps across even .01 ohm is almost 5000 watts !

>     Tomorrow, I might go out and buy a 700 amp battery as I am tired of
> trying to jump it with cables.

Good idea !  But "700 amps" is not how the batteries are rated.  ISTR I bought a
"Group 27" last time, but I could be mistaken.  Perhaps someone else will point
out my mistake <g>

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org