[TR] Phishing (was: Recent SCAMS)

To: "'triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Phishing (was: Recent SCAMS)
From: Hoyt <hoyt@cavtel.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:28:22 -0400
On Sunday 02 April 2006 11:54, Joe Curry wrote:
> Is it just me, or are others out there receiving emails asking you to link
> to a web site to update your information on either a Chase or Western Union
> account?
>

> I have no account with either of these companies so I know they have to be
> SCAMS.

These scams are known as "phishing". They are social engineeering attempts to
get you to reveal confidential information. While most people will not
respond to SPAM email, open email attachments, or click on links in unknown
email, something like 80% of people take the bait for phishing.

Rule of Thumb: Ignore and delete _any_ email that wants you to verify
confidential information. Legitimate institutions will not ask you to do
this.

--
Hoyt

===     http://www.vtr.org