Re: [TR] The 'magic' of the name lives on?

To: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] The 'magic' of the name lives on?
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:13:17 -0400
On Tuesday 04 April 2006 06:02 pm, John Macartney wrote:
> A propos of nothing in particular and more LBB (read bike rather than bus)
> than LBC related, I saw evidence today of how the Triumph motorcycle has
> evolved since passing into the hands of its current owners. I know this
> isn't a bike forum - but I hope I'm forgiven for using it as a comparison
> of product names - past, present and future.
>
> This morning, I was minding my own business in town when several Triumph
> motorcycles drew up outside my favourite coffee shop. The guys in their
> leathers were, shall we say 'mature' men and it transpired they were all
> friends reliving an earlier youth. In point of fact, they'd all had 60th
> birthdays and as they'd met years before as owners of Triumph Tiger Cubs,
> they'd all agreed that the big 60th would see them buying a NEW Triumph
> bike. This past weekend had seen them reliving their youth as a foursome
> with machines newly delivered within the last 4 weeks.
>
> Personally, I've always loved Triumph bikes - both pre and postwar, though
> I've never owned one and today was the first time I'd had the chance to see
> the latest versions of some of the current product range. The Rocket III
> Classic was a delight, as were two Bonnevilles and a Bonny T100. Superbly
> finished, unmistakably Triumph bikes and all making a very distinctive
> noise. I was enchanted and admired them for all of 20 minutes before
> leaving for home and lunch.
>
> As I trudged down the road, I reflected that Siegfried Bettmann would have
> been proud to see the two wheeled product bearing his brand-name was in
> such good hands and still under totally British ownership and management. I
> just wish the same could be said for the four-wheeled variant because I'm
> pretty damned sure that if BMW ever does make a Triumph car, it'll probably
> look as unconvincing as a Triumph, as BMW's interpretation of what a Rolls
> Royce should look like. No doubt the (Bavarian) Royce is a technically
> impressive piece of transportation, but whenever I occasionally see one,
> I'm reminded of the many surviving concrete blockhouses that once formed
> part of the Atlantic Wall and can still be seen along the north coast of
> France. VW have IMHO done a better job with the Bentley but both these
> prestigeous makes have lost their visual pedigree. I guess the TR9 (or
> whatever it's one day called) might resemble a hammerhead shark - or worse.
> Ah, well ......
>
> Apologies for BW
>
> Jonmac

John,

I couldnt agree more. I have owned Triumph both 2 and 4 wheel versions since
1969. In 1974 I bought a new Bonnie and still ride it to this day. But after
a restoration in about 2000 I decided I needed an upgraded version for longer
rides. So I saved my $ and got a used 1998 Thunderbird. This version is no
longer produced but is still my favorite "New" Triumph. THis bikr has a 3 cyl
885 cc engine double oh cam with 4 valves per. (all Triumphs are 4 valves
per). Puts out about 70 hp but with lots of torque. It has been more trouble
free than my 2002 Vue by far! The looks are Triumph for sure.

The garage is full of British Iron, 2 four wheelers and 2 two wheelers!

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org