Re: [TR] The 'magic' of the name lives on?

To: standardtriumph@btinternet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [TR] The 'magic' of the name lives on?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:55:18 EDT
In a message dated 4/4/2006 5:05:29 PM Central Standard Time,
standardtriumph@btinternet.com writes:
> As I trudged down the road, I reflected that Siegfried Bettmann would have
> been proud to see the two wheeled product bearing his brand-name was in such
>
> good hands and still under totally British ownership and management. I just
> wish the same could be said for the four-wheeled variant because I'm pretty
> damned sure that if BMW ever does make a Triumph car, it'll probably look as
>
> unconvincing as a Triumph, as BMW's interpretation of what a Rolls Royce
> should look like. No doubt the (Bavarian) Royce is a technically impressive
> piece of transportation, but whenever I occasionally see one, I'm reminded
> of the many surviving concrete blockhouses that once formed part of the
> Atlantic Wall and can still be seen along the north coast of France. VW have
>
> IMHO done a better job with the Bentley but both these prestigeous makes
> have lost their visual pedigree. I guess the TR9 (or whatever it's one day
> called) might resemble a hammerhead shark - or worse. Ah, well ......

We can always hope.  But realistically, we should doubt.  You probably know
better than most of us that the expenses involved in tooling up to make a
motorcycle are trivial standing aside those to make a motorcar.  Hence BMW will
want a car that will please all comers from the nostalgic traditionalists to
the
modern motorist who barely remembers there once was a Triumph motorcar.

Then there is the question: if we recreate a Triumph, which model do we copy?
 It can be argued that any car they develop will more closely resemble the
TR7/8 model in design and manufacture than any other.  But that car was so
ahead
of its time it still looks almost current.  So, do we copy the original?
TR2/3 styling?  How do you do that justice and still meet crash safety
standards?
 Do you take a Z3 and give it a paint job that simulates the cut down door
look?  (Gag).  Or do you do the Michelotti stylings of the TR4 the injustice?
Or the hairy chested TR6?  (since this one was partly styled by Karman it just
might get the nod)  Or maybe the nimble Spitfire?

Quirky sells cars these days.  Perhaps a Herald knock off is the best choice.
 Besides providing the level of interior room motorists expect these days, it
won't be easy to miss in the car park.  And they could reskin a Mini and be
done with it.

I need a drink.

Cheers

Dave Massey