RE: [TR] TR4 front suspension rebuild questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 front suspension rebuild questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:55:26 -0700
> For the lower trunnions, is there an easy diagnostic to know when to
> replace?

Assemble the parts and see how sloppy they are.

>  Is it just something normally done for a good rebuild, or are
> those trunnions pretty much trouble free rarely requiring replacement?

I've done it both ways, but unless funds are a serious problem, I'd replace
them.  Everything else is pretty much fail-safe, but if those brass threads wear
enough to pull out ... the front of the car drops on the pavement.

> I am leaning towards original rubber bushings, not the urethane.  No plans
> on high performance driving with the car - but would there be specific parts
> that urethane is superior to the original for even daily driving?

I found that the rubber bushings were definitely tired after only a year of
daily driving, and pretty much toast by two years.  I switched to Nylatron
mostly to get longer life out of them.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org