RE: [TR] TR4A Engine Rebuild Update - Round 5

Subject: RE: [TR] TR4A Engine Rebuild Update - Round 5
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:47:45 -0700
> My point to raise here is that what the "builder" does is to insert said
> ringless piston IN the bore and THEN insert the ring to be measured.  Push
> said ring down on to the top of the piston.  That WILL "square" said ring to
> the liner (or cylinder" bore.
> Back the piston away and then you measure the "ring gap".

Ok, Ed.  You do it your way and I'll do it mine.  I don't recall it being an
issue with the TRactor motor, but on some engines the piston won't go enough
below BDC to move the ring to the bottom of the #2 ring's travel and still have
room for the feeler gauge.

There's also the problem that, particularly with the engine still in the car, it
can be difficult to both hold the piston up from the bottom and push the ring
down from the top.  (Yes, I've done pistons & liners many times with the engine
still in the car.)

Also, not that it matters, the book says to push the piston down on top of the
ring <g>

> All that said, I quit doing motors (which I LOVE and ENJOY doing) a number
> of years ago.

I'm planning my next one as soon as I build a shed to store all the stuff that
has accumulated in the garage.  And it's almost done.

But it's for me, I won't do it for anyone else.  I'm glad to help my friends,
but the job (and responsibility if it goes sour) is theirs.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org