RE: [TR] TR3 Timing Chain Rattle

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Timing Chain Rattle
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:13:35 -0700
> I know this is a difficult thing to quantify without being there with your
> head under the hood but how much chain rattle is normal?

IMO there should be no "rattle".  A tiny amount of what I would call "whine"
is normal, but not rattle.

> Is there any way to test for a sloppy chain short of pulling off
> the cover?

Actual chain wear can be gauged to some extent by turning the crankshaft
backwards and observing how far it gets before the cam starts to move (as
evidenced by rockers moving).

But I think it's more likely you have a broken tensioner.

> If it were your engine would you still putter around on a few short easy
> trips to the store for a few weeks while until you could replace the chain
> and gears or would you shut it down right now and not dare use it until
> replacing them?

Since this is a non-interference engine, you aren't risking much by
continuing to drive it.  Worst case is a tow truck, if the chain breaks
entirely (which is extremely rare).  More likely it will skip a tooth first,
which usually leaves the engine running just well enough to limp home.

Replacing the tensioner (and the chain for that matter) can be done with the
engine in the car, IF you can get the fan out of the way.  Since I removed
my factory fan years ago, I found replacing the tensioner to be fairly easy.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org