[TR] TR3 Timing Chain Rattle

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3 Timing Chain Rattle
From: Cosmo Kramer <tr4a2712@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 04:43:59 -0700 (PDT)
Hi List!
I'm sorry to get into this thread so late, but I'm on
the TR Digest List. [BTW- That's why I usally reply to
the indivdual instead of the list.] But this time I
thought that the list might be interested in some of
my reply?

> I've got a little rattle ... and confirmed that it
is > coming from the timing chain. ...

Being that I have read through the last TR Digest, I
agree with Randal that the problem is most likely a
broken chain tensioner, & driving it futhuer might
cause the cain to break at worst. I also agree with
another List Member that a hole in the Timing Cover
could occur. Been there..., My solution to my problem
was to remove the Timing Cover [placing bolts in the
exact same order into the new Timing Cover Gasket to
me to used later. This way you know that the 'short
bolt' will be placed back in the propper hole & NOT
cause more problems.], or make a coardboard lay out to
place the bolts & nut take are taken off. Replace the
Timing Tensioner, Chain, & gasket, ONLY! [I've been
told by Ken G. that the org. gears were made of BETTER
material than the 'replacement gears'. I've followed
his advice when I did my engine rebuild 3 yr. ago with
NO Problem in his advice.] Fix the Timing Cover if a
hole is there. I rebent the metal back to close the
hole, then brazed the gaps to 'seal the hole shut.
ALSO, if you want to 'install' that 'Sound Deading
Material' onto your Timing Cover [that wasn't there
before', CLEAN the cover well, tape off the cover so
only the area were the 'goop' is to go, spray Severial
THIN coats [to build up material thickness of your
desire] with Worth's Rocker Pannel Schutz. [This stuff
will harden in between coats if given enough time.]
Then give a top coat of paint.

I know this is a difficult...

No, not really.

Is there any way to test for a sloppy chain short of
pulling off the
cover?

NO, not to my knowlegde.

If it were your engine would you still putter around

Yes, It can be done, but I do belive in fixing things
ASAP to avoid other problems that might happen down
the road.

-Cosmo Kramer

===     http://www.vtr.org