RE: [TR] TR3 Timing Chain Rattle

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 Timing Chain Rattle
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 21:29:53 -0500
> > I have to disagree with your statement about it being ok to drive it
> > with a broken tensioner.  A broken tensioner cost Susan a race motor at
> > Mosport in 2003.  The tensioner eventually got caught up in the chain
> > and the chain chewed it to shreds dropping the bits down into the oil
> > pan and up into the pump.
>
> Well, I can't argue with that!  Except perhaps to hope that what Susan was
> doing at Mosport didn't qualify as "putter around on a few short easy
> trips".  I drove several hundred miles (at least) with a broken tensioner,
> and no drama; but maybe I was just lucky.
>
> Randall

You're right there is probably some difference in driving style there!
The amount of abuse a race engine takes over a street engine is
considerable.  One thing about it, things that most people would take
weeks to fix if it breaks typically get fixed in a few hours or so at the
race trace.  You learn a new way to do things when you're at the track.

Bottom line, if it was my noisey timing chain I'd fix it rather than take
the chance on having to totally rebuild the engine.  YMMV.

Brad
(been there done that!)

===     http://www.vtr.org