RE: [TR] Clutch shaft replacement

To: "Jim" <cartr4a@ameritech.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Clutch shaft replacement
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:22:42 -0700
> I'm replacing the clutch on my TR-4A, and also replacing the
> clutch shaft, fork, etc. I bought the fork kit from TRF and the
> shaft is different from my old one. My old shaft has a groove cut
> in it on the end away from the slave cylinder for a retaining
> screw, the new shaft doesn't have a groove. Is the retaining
> screw necessary?

It was deleted by the factory during TR4 production.  Looks like you either
have an earlier gearbox, or someone has replaced with the wrong shaft.

> Anyone use this shaft without the screw?
> I noticed in the TR6 catalogs that retaining screw isn't used.

While I don't think the retaining screw makes any useful difference, I do
like having the grease zerk on the end of the shaft to lube the bushing at
that point.  I drilled and tapped mine to add the zerk (although I don't
know if there is room for it on a TR4A).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org