RE: [TR] TR3 tight steering

To: "barry papaleo" <bpapaleo@distributel.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 tight steering
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:20:02 -0700
> I recently replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, and silentbloc pins on my
> tr3 and have noticed that it's hard to move the steering by turning one of the
> front wheels, however it does move smoothly.  Just wondering if this tightness
> is normal because of the new parts or should I be looking for another cause
> (overtorqued etc)?

It's a bit hard to tell with the steering box connected, since it does take some
force to move it.  If you are concerned, my suggestion would be to remove the
tie rod ends from the steering levers, and see if the vertical links turn easily
then.  Here's a nice article by Mike Moore about one possible cause of hard
steering after a rebuild :
http://personal.linkline.com/koblinger/trsc/tech%20articles/hardsteer.htm

>  Also, I have since removed the stator tube and control
> head for repairs and refinishing and was just wondering if working on and
> moving the steering with these parts out may cause me any problems with the
> steering box, etc?

Shouldn't be a problem.  If it's an adjustable wheel, adjust it as close to the
dash as it will go.  Start with the stator tube pulled out slightly, center the
canceling mechanism and then engage the control head with the stator tube and
turn it so it's upright before pushing it home in the (centered) steering wheel.
Then lock the gland nut and the grub screws before turning anything.  Then you
can check the canceling action to see if you've got it right.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org