Re: [TR] Non LBC.....Octane Impact

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Non LBC.....Octane Impact
From: ScharfR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:49:38 EDT
Bob et al:

I am on my third Audi A4 with the same 1.8 T engine that you have in your
Passat. I have always run each of them on the lowest cost (and thus, lowest
octane) gasoline available. There are few negative consequences of doing  this,
none of them harmful to the engine, with the following caveats:
    o    If you ever take your car  to a track event and want
          every last bit of  power available, use premium. In fact,
          use it for a tank or  two before the event to be sure of
          having the best fuel  mix on board.
    o    On a blisteringly hot day,  pulling a trailer uphill for
          an extended haul,  with the A/C on Max Cool, you
          might want to  consider premium. At nearly any
          other time you can  run regular without anxiety, but...
    o    You will probably  experience a minor decline in
          fuel economy
    o    Maximum power under hard  acceleration will be
          curtailed as the  knock sensor selectively dials
          back ignition timing  to eliminate pre-ignition and
          knocking
    o    Power at moderate RPM with  a wide-open throttle
          may be lower.  Imagine a passing situation where
          you give it full  throttle without downshifting. This is
          a high load  condition where the knock sensor will
          dial back timing  with low octane fuel whereas
          premium will let it  use a more aggressive advance
          curve resulting  in more bang

Fuels today nearly all have the necessary detergents and other ingredients
to prevent intake path deposits (previously one of the few other reasons to
consider premium gas). If you are obsessive compulsive about extracting the
last
 bit of performance you might (emphasis, might) actually be able to detect
the  day-to-day performance difference between the use of low octant and
premium
 fuel. For most people, it's imperceptible and inconsequential.

The bottom line is that the engine is robust and, by design, can hold up to
hours of flat out running as might have been possible in Germany on the
Autobahnen, until they also got too crowded for this kind of thing. The knock
sensor is your safety net. Only under what we would consider extreme duty
conditions would premium be worthwhile. And that kind of driving is illegal in
most
states.

Bob Sharp
64-ish TR4
(and serial Audi owner)

In a message dated 4/25/2006 5:30:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,