Re: [TR] friction plates - design

To: CarlSereda@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] friction plates - design
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:49:50 EDT
In a message dated 4/25/06 7:23:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
CarlSereda@aol.com writes:

<< Minor question: is the new 'slotted' facings on clutch friction plates
 desireable over the solid surface design of decades ago? >>

The last solid face clutch disc I saw was for a 70 VW bus. Pretty much
everything has a slotted unit.  I suspect this is for slight cooling effect and
the
escape of dust.

In theory since there is less clutch material wear will be faster but in
reality it probably isn't a issue.  A slotted disc will have slightly higher
max
torque transmission due to greater effective clamping force but again the
difference should be small.

Harold

===     http://www.vtr.org