[TR] vacuum, oil presure,ELEC FAN thermo. SOUGHT!

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] vacuum, oil presure,ELEC FAN thermo. SOUGHT!
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:42:59 -0400
List,
I got the timing light hooked up on my TR3 and it shows the hi-lited TDC
mark being about 1/2" to 5/8" BTDC when the engine is running at about
2000rpm.  I can't remember what the list has said in the past, but the books
say 4 deg. BTDC and since it sounded good so I left it for now. Sorry to be
lazy but my computer is very slow and archive searching takes forever.
    However, even though it sounded relatively timed, I still had too little
vacuum at the rear carb. I know that BOTH carbs. are suppose to be as
identical, in every way, as possible.  Thus this uneven vacuum has me
worried.  Tomorrow, I'll try torqueing the manifold while it is hot and see
if that helps.
    But while it was running strong I sprayed starter fluid around the
manifolds.  When I would spray it down the slit between 3&4 intake manifold
tubes, the starter fluid actually drowned out the motor. If I would have
sprayed it for 5 seconds then it would surely have choked it out.  To a
lesser extent, this also happened for the split on the intake manifold
between 1&2 tubes.  I had expected the starter fluid to make the rpm's
scream, but, this never happened.  I was surprised then that this action
would actually kill the engine!
    Also, the oil pressure only went as high as 40 psi at it's highest.  And
although the engine sounded good, the oil pressure even went as low as 20.
I don't know how low it's permissable for it to go!   Someone sent me an
email showing suggested PSI readings at various conditions, but, I LOST IT!
(Could you please re-send) I have 20w-50 in it, if that makes any
difference.  I had my box fan blowing directly on the radiator and this
seemed to have helped.  Since I broke my plastic fan, I am going to put the
stock four-bladed fan back on it.  I also have a electric fan w/o thermostat
that I was given (thank you very much!) and I figure that the two of them
used togather will be more than adequate. (of course, they'll be used on
opposite sides of the radiator!)  BTW, what does an electric fan thermostat
look like?  If anyone has one they can contact me off
list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    After only running it for 10 minutes today, the two most important
problems which now need to be resolved are: why the starter fluid killed the
motor AND the low oil pressure.  These problems are surely inter-related.
If the answer is still a vacuum leak, then I hope tightening it while
everything's hot will fix it.  I wonder if I should tighten the manifolds
tighter than what the book shows for 'manifold attachment gets torqued to
24ftpds'.  Can I exceed this?
Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A