Re: [TR] vacuum, oil presure,ELEC FAN thermo. SOUGHT!

To: dorpaul@negia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] vacuum, oil presure,ELEC FAN thermo. SOUGHT!
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:58:29 EDT
In a message dated 4/25/2006 9:44:58 PM Central Standard Time,
dorpaul@negia.net writes:
>   But while it was running strong I sprayed starter fluid around the
> manifolds.  When I would spray it down the slit between 3&4 intake manifold
> tubes, the starter fluid actually drowned out the motor. If I would have
> sprayed it for 5 seconds then it would surely have choked it out.  To a
> lesser extent, this also happened for the split on the intake manifold
> between 1&2 tubes.  I had expected the starter fluid to make the rpm's
> scream, but, this never happened.  I was surprised then that this action
> would actually kill the engine!

The fact that it did anything at all indicates a vacuum leak which should be
rectified.  Flooding the area with liquid combustibles can convert an air leak
into a fuel leak and if the carb has been adjusted to compensate for the air
leak then adding extra fuel where extra air was before will cause the mixture
to go way rich.

>     Also, the oil pressure only went as high as 40 psi at it's highest.
> And
> although the engine sounded good, the oil pressure even went as low as 20.
> I don't know how low it's permissable for it to go!   Someone sent me an
> email showing suggested PSI readings at various conditions, but, I LOST IT!
> (Could you please re-send) I have 20w-50 in it, if that makes any
> difference.

First thing is to measure the oil pressure with another gauge.  It is
possible that your gauge is reading low.  (if you are lucky)

Next thing is to check the oil pressure relief valve.  The spring may be
broken or it may be miscalibrated.  Or the plunger may be stuck open.

Next replace the oil filter.  It may be clogged.

Do you have one of those head oiling kits?  If so, remove it.  See if that
makes any difference.

All the above can be done without disassembling the engine so check these out
before tearing into it.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org