RE: [TR] Food for thought...E85

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [TR] Food for thought...E85
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 07:30:12 -0700 (PDT)
--- Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net> wrote:

> > With all the talk about alternative fuels I was thinking (always a scary
> > thing!), what would it take to run a LBC on E85.  With SU's I would think
> > you would have to change the needles to something a lot richer.
>
> Not necessarily.  The needle controls the relative change in mixture, while
> ethanol needs to be much richer all the time.
>
> At any rate, many many years ago, I experimented with running my TR3A on
> "denatured" alcohol.  Ran just fine with the jets pulled down about 1/4"
> from their usual position, although I didn't make any performance
> comparison.
>
> Randall

Was there an obvious performance difference that you could detect?  Also, since
E85 is rated at 110 octane, would increasing your compression ratio compensate
for the loss of power?  How high a ratio could you use if you went to E85
exclusively?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Raymond L. Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS, O/D, SAH Tuned "Chance"