[TR] Painting TR6 wheels / redlines

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Painting TR6 wheels / redlines
From: "scottpaisley" <scottpaisley@smartneighborhood.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 07:52:32 -0700
Well, I've been going through my newly owned TR6 (5 days old to me now)
and have found that it needs a few bits, but nothing major... I just
ordered the carb rebuilds (leaking float bowls), fuel pump rebuild
(leaky), tune up bits, etc.

The car is a 1974, and thus should have silver wheels. Currently they
are black with the black center rings. (Actually, I'm not a purist, I
think it should have whatever color wheels I like... which just happens
to silver :-) So I plan to put them back to silver, and paint them
myself. They are in good shape (no pitting rust, etc), and with the trim
rings and center pieces, there really isn't a whole lot of the wheel
showing.

What should I use to paint the wheels? What color of silver is right? Am
I kidding myself and should I pay $$$$ to get them blasted and powder
coated? It seems a shame to get them powder coated to only smash a trim
ring on them. :-(

Spray paints have come a long way, and I could get something meant for
the job, use some steel wool and have at it. If they look like crap, I
can always get them blasted and powdercoated later... Have any of you
done this?

What are your opinions on Tires? I really like the looks of the
red-lines. Is there a good place to purchase those? How do they drive
for everyday use? Obviously, I don't plan to auto-x this puppy if I'm
asking about redlines. :-)

Thanks!!!!

-Scotty
Ashburn, Virginia