RE: [TR] Food for thought...E85

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Food for thought...E85
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 08:57:40 -0700
> > At any rate, many many years ago, I experimented with running my TR3A on
> > "denatured" alcohol.  Ran just fine with the jets pulled down about 1/4"
> > from their usual position, although I didn't make any performance
> > comparison.
> >
> > Randall
>
> Was there an obvious performance difference that you could detect?

Seemed pretty comparable, I didn't notice any drop.  But I didn't particularly
look for one either, just drove normally.  Only bought a gallon, and it didn't
last long.

> Also, since
> E85 is rated at 110 octane, would increasing your compression ratio compensate
> for the loss of power?

I suspect so, but don't know for sure.  The theoretical drop in max power is
pretty small (mostly due to getting less air in the cylinder as I understand
it), while upping the compression ratio makes a substantial improvement.

>  How high a ratio could you use if you went to E85
> exclusively?

Don't know for sure, but I suspect the main limit with a TRactor motor will be
the motor itself.  I found a website selling 110 octane race fuel as being
suitable for up to 19:1 compression, which seems a bit extreme to me.  Another
says 14:1 is the practical limit, but even 14:1 would be a real problem with a
TRactor motor, IMO.  "Pop-up" pistons would almost certainly be required, and
they cause other problems.

Of course, there's always supercharging ...

BTW, E85 is 85% ethanol.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org