[TR] What is tight and what is not. TR3B Steering

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] What is tight and what is not. TR3B Steering
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:30:07 -0400
List,

I'm putting my steering unit back in the TR and a couple of questions...

What is considered "tight" when turning the wheel with no weight on
the front end?  My 91 Nissan pu is very light compared to the
TR.  I've backed off the top adjusting screw as well as loosened the
front 4 screws and it does not seem to make any difference. Before I
start disassembling everything piece by piece as they say in the
manual, I thought I might get some collective wisdom from the list.

Second question has to do with the upper felt bushing in the steering
column.  How do you get it to stay at the top of the steering
column?  I can get it in, put as the upper wider portion of the
steering shaft enters the tube, it pushes the felt down into the tube.

Thanks in  advance.

Doug

===     http://www.vtr.org