[TR] TR4 fan assembly

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR4 fan assembly
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 19:16:28 -0400
Although I had done this hastily before (and broken my pretty yellow plastic
8-bladed fan), I am doing it more careful and plan on using the stock fan.
(it proably didn't need a plastic fan anyway)

Anyway, in assembling all the pieces that go in front of the fan, I have to
ask:
1. how do I determine if I need to add the balance piece (Moss sells it for
$7.95, mine is from TRF and is the same, i guess).  If I need one then where
do I put it?  I suppose 2 balance pieces is against policy
2.  TRF sent me 4-6 Lockplates.  I think only one was on the original- how
do I determine how many to use?  Now that I've looked it up in the Moss
catalog their $5 each and they say use 1.  I know that I'd never over order
on $20-30 of lockplates, how did this happen?
3. The Workshop Manual says use a lockwasher on the fan dog bolt, I seem to
only remember a thin shim on it when it came off- a Moss says to consult
this book.  What determines if I need shims?
4. The Workshop Manual says (and has a diagram of 'Setting the Hand Starter
Dog at "ten minutes to four" and they show a dotted line at this slant.
What does this mean??

Thanks, Paul Dorsey
60 TR3 w a TR4 engine

===     http://www.vtr.org