RE: [TR] TR4 fan assembly

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 fan assembly
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 16:59:57 -0700
> Anyway, in assembling all the pieces that go in front of the fan,
> I have to
> ask:
> 1. how do I determine if I need to add the balance piece (Moss
> sells it for
> $7.95, mine is from TRF and is the same, i guess).  If I need one
> then where
> do I put it?

All covered in the workshop manual.  Per Section C, part 27 in the TR2/3
workshop manual, use one balance piece to adjust the balance of the
fan/extension assembly, before installing on the car.

>  I suppose 2 balance pieces is against policy

Makes no sense to use two, but you could probably get by with none.

> 2.  TRF sent me 4-6 Lockplates.  I think only one was on the original- how
> do I determine how many to use?  Now that I've looked it up in the Moss
> catalog their $5 each and they say use 1.  I know that I'd never
> over order
> on $20-30 of lockplates, how did this happen?

Which lockplate are you talking about ?  There should be one large round
plate for the center bolt/crank dog, and two smaller plates for the smaller
bolts that hold the fan on.  Check your order, TRF may have made a mistake.

> 3. The Workshop Manual says use a lockwasher on the fan dog bolt,

Where does it say that ?

I'm looking at a TR2/3 workshop manual ... but AFAIK the TR4 fan was the
same.

> I seem to
> only remember a thin shim on it when it came off- a Moss says to consult
> this book.  What determines if I need shims?
> 4. The Workshop Manual says (and has a diagram of 'Setting the
> Hand Starter
> Dog at "ten minutes to four" and they show a dotted line at this slant.
> What does this mean??

That's what you use the shims for, to get the crank dog positioned that way
with #1 cylinder at TDC.  But if you don't plan to hand-start the engine,
this step can be left out (or just put back the shims you found there).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org