RE: [TR] Considering tube shock conversion for 4A

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Considering tube shock conversion for 4A
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 14:28:32 +0000
Well, I used to own a car which came with the 7/8" front sway bar, and I
upgraded to the 420lb springs.  I had also adjusted my lever shocks to be
stiffer.  I really liked the ride that way.  It was much better than "original"
because it was more controlled and rarely bottomed out (which gets very harsh
in a microsecond).  It was not realy a filling-loosening ride at all.  That
happened with the stock suspension when it bottomed-out.

My current restored and essentially completely original 4A has a much inferior
ride.  I probably need to get the front end re-aligned now that all the rubbers
are fully seated.  But still, it needs help.  Maybe more damping alone will do
it.

While suspensions are always a combo of damping and springing, the way I look
at it is that the springs should be just strong enough to resist bottoming
under all but the worst bumps, and then the damping should be enough to control
the wheels given the spring settings.  This way the suspension is most
compliant while still controlled.

I am not sure what it takes to get this in a TR4A, but I liked the 420lb
springs, koni's up front and "heavy duty" mods to the rear lever valves.
Alnong with a 7/8" front sway bar.  I suppose a rear would have been good too,
but that car did not have one.  Handling was excellent.

-Tony

===     http://www.vtr.org