RE: [TR] Considering tube shock conversion for 4A

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Considering tube shock conversion for 4A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 16:36:28 -0700
> The force applied to the shock mount is a function of the force applied to
> the trailing arm since there are no other forces applied inbetween.
>
> Increased damping forces not with standing.

I disagree, Dave.  The force applied to the mount is a function of the speed of
the trailing arm motion relative to the car, IOW how fast the shock is being
compressed or extended, and of the amount of damping the shock provides.  After
all, with the suspension at rest, there is no force at all transmitted to the
mount even though the weight (force) of the car is on the trailing arm.

Remember, both the shock and the spring control the motion of the trailing arm
relative to the car (except at the stops, of course).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org