RE: [TR] Power Steering

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Power Steering
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 18:47:12 -0700
> What was the problem with your rack that you consider to be a manufacturing
> defect,

As you know, the control unit has an input shaft, an output shaft, and a "torque
rod" that goes between them.  The torque rod is located to the input shaft with
a pin that passes through both of them.  The hole in the torque rod was enough
larger than the hole through the input shaft, that there was several degrees of
play between them.  Since the valve is operated by the relative motion of the
input and output shafts, the torque rod provides tactile feedback to the driver
by causing some force to be transmitted through before the valve starts to
operate.  Having it loose results in overboosted (or what I call Novocain)
steering.

I solved the problem by reaming the cross hole in the input shaft larger, and
using a new roll pin.

> and how was it mis-assembled?

I'm not sure I can explain in text.  Where the input shaft meets the output
shaft, there is a tang and a slot that provides a safety override.  There is a
circlip that goes around that, not sure what it's function is.  Best I can tell,
when it was assembled before, the circlip was not located on the correct side of
the tang.  At any rate, the two pieces just fell apart when I removed them from
the housing, and the circlip should have prevented it.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org