RE: [TR] TR6 clutch problems

To: "'Paul Mitchell'" <paul@cynthesys.co.za>,
Subject: RE: [TR] TR6 clutch problems
From: "StevesTR6" <stevestr6@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:17:14 -0700
Yeah, this sounds very familiar.

So lets assume that nothing is really wrong like broken pins and that kind
of thing..

This happened to me when I put in a new clutch, engagement at the bottom of
the pedal stroke and gears were grinding and it really was no fun. What I
think is happening here is that the dimensions of the new T/O bearing and/or
pressure plate are different in some way than the parts you had before.

If this is the case then there is a fairly easy fix, or at least it worked
for me: Look at your clutch master cylinder, if "Girling 0.70" is casted
into the side then what you can do is get a new master cylinder that says
"Girling 0.75" (or sometimes it's "3/4").

I put in the 0.75 and it completely corrected my problem. The larger
diameter cylinder pushes more fluid that that caused the clutch to disengage
in the perfect spot. It's almost as if the T/O and pressure plate and M/C
have to be matched.

Good luck!
-Steve
'74 TR6