RE: [TR] sticking SU piston

To: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] sticking SU piston
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:32:12 -0700
> Either loosening the
> three screws at its bottom and/or unscrewing the damper oil gauge stick
> allows the piston to go up and down.  But, of  course, how do I fix it?

Sounds to me like time to find a new dome, piston and damper.  The dome has a
precision bearing interface with the dome, so much so that they are supposed to
be a matched set.  But from your description, the piston must be loose enough
that the damper is deflecting it enough to make it bind.

Just replacing the damper (or perhaps even straightening the one you have) may
make the problem appear to go away.  But if the piston is that loose in the
dome, you will have more trouble with it in the future.

Assuming of course that the piston/dome bearing has been lubricated ...

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org