[TR] TR3 starting problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3 starting problem
From: Alexander Delis <ols@bcdef.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 19:56:10 -0400
Hello listers!

I was stranded by my TR3 the other day.  It felt very much like a
fuel problem; with my foot off the accelerator the car felt like it
was about to stall- when I gave it a little gas it just took off.

Finally when I  had to downshift, it completely stalled and would not
start again. Good thing I have AAA plus for towing!

When I got it home I checked and there was plenty of fuel flow to the
carbs. I remembered the old axiom that 99% of fuel problems are
electrical and pulled the distributor cap and checked the rotor- all
seemed good. I pulled a plug wire to see if there was spark, and not
only was there spark but the car started right up!

i shut down the car, reconnected the wire and nothing. I pulled the
cap and rotor, put them back, and it started right up.

Naturally I don't think I should drive the car until I figure out why
this happened. All seems right with the distributor- if the cap or
rotor were bad it wouldn't start up like it does. All wires seem
tight.

Any ideas?

TIA

Alex