[TR] PayPal scam (no LBC content)

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] PayPal scam (no LBC content)
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:13:30 -0700
Just a FYI, I just got another one of those " Notification of Limited
Account Access  - Unauthorized Funds Transfer" emails purporting to be from
PayPal.  The text of the message looks scary, notifying you that your access
to PayPal has been "limited", "for your protection".

I'm not sure what the intent of this message is, whether they are just
harvesting email addresses to sell to spammers, or phishing for your PayPal
account information (more likely, IMO).  But I am certain it's fraudulent.

The most noticeable thing is that the "From" address is not filled in.
Email actually from PayPal _always_ has a return address.  Second suspicious
thing is that the message is in HTML with links to photos ... genuine PayPal
messages are _always_ in plain text format.

The thing that makes me absolutely certain this email is not from PayPal is
that it did not come from their Internet domain.  Instead it came from
address 207.56.88.238 which belongs to NTT America, an ISP in Colorado.

I'm sure none of this is new to anyone who uses PayPal, so just take this as
a warning to remain vigilant.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org