Re: [TR] Timing chain project - dog bolt removal question

To: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Timing chain project - dog bolt removal question
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 08:51:46 -0400
On Friday 29 September 2006 08:45 pm, Adrian Jones wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Well, I'm making good progress so far.
> Removed apron, radiator and fan.
>
> According to Haynes the next step is to "undo the starter dog bolt".
> I'm thinking this is where I position an extension on the socket and then
> crank the engine with the starter.  I've positioned the extension under the
> frame on the lower right hand side:
>
> http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/AdrianJones34/Dogbolt.jpg
>
> because (to my thinking) the engine turns clockwise (?) -looking from the
> front - so the extension must be positioned so that it doesn't move when I
> hit the starter button.
>
> Kind of a scary setup so I thought I'd better check with you guys first.
>
> Many thanks for advice,  Adrian TS58324

Adrian,

If you have a impact wrench, it is a simple job. Just a few shots with the gun
and the bolt should spin right off.

I dont think I would use the starter to loosen the bolt.

If you dont have an impact wrench, try hitting the wrench you have in place
with a BFH. The hammer jolts should loosen the bolt after awhile. Best to use
a 6 point impact socket.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org