Re: [TR] TR2,3,4 thermostats

To: MMoore8425@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2,3,4 thermostats
From: jar@aldermanroad.net
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:40:02 -0500
Most cars have some form of a bypass.  The older American t-stat had a
hole of about   1/8" in the butterfly valve so that hot water could pass
over the bi-metalic "pellet" that actually opened the butterfly.  This
was to prevent overheating as a consequence of the time constant
differences between that of the pellet and the rate of heating of the
engine/head.

Triumph (and Volvo) used the larger bypass to do two things:
1. insure the simultaneous, even heating of the head and block
2. speed up the heating of the engine.

In this plan, the shroude style cuts the flow through the bypass and
diverts it to the radiator as needed. It in fact more dynamicly and
efficiently balances the temperature in the engine.  Essentially, a very
good engine design.  The only problem was the use of the bellows styple,
vs. a simple bi-metallic pellet to provide the method of opening.

As an aside, a cracked head in a TR is a great rarity, unless it was run
without water.