Re: [TR] Chrome platers & nasty people

To: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Chrome platers & nasty people
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:04:05 -0500
On Saturday 20 January 2007 10:19 am, TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:
> On Friday 19 January 2007 08:37 pm, fred thomas wrote:
> >> Unlike the Chrome stuff I bought from Moss & TRF.
> >
> > I was not aware that Moss & TRF had a "Chrome Plateing Service
> > available". It gets so @#$%$#@$% for list members to always take nasty
> > below the belt pot shots at those who try very hard to keep our cars on
> > the road, next time you are in need of a clutch call your "chrome
> > plater", if he is out of stock, be sure to bad mouth him on the list as
> > well.  "FT"
>
> Charged with being a nasty person.  If buying new chromed parts and
> complaining because they start showing visible rust within a year of
> installation is being a nasty person.  Well, guilty as charged.
TeriAnn,

Take it easy! Maybe you did get some parts from Moss that were crap but
overall both Moss and TRF do the best they can. Most of the OEM shops are
long gone. I am happy that they can even get most of the parts

> Original factory chromed items that I kept: chrome plating still good.

That may be true for the TR3 and 3A but on my TR4 project all the OEM chrome
is either faded or peeling! Not one piece survived! Not sure if it was
Triumphs fault or the owners. I can really see the difference in quality
between the 3 and 4! Many more shortcuts.

> Parts I had rechromed through a custom Harley shop:  chrome plating
> still good.

Sure and like you say, you get what you pay for.

> Chrome parts I purchased mostly from Moss:  Rust pitting starting soon
> after installation.  Front bumper chrome pealing in strips.
>
> If complaining to the folks at Moss = nasty person then I = nasty
> person.  Maybe a double nasty person because I complained to them in
> person pointing out the pitting & pealing chrome.

Way back in 1981 or so I got a set of trunk, hood hinges from TRF. Well they
are still like new! Were they oem? Not sure.

> Personally, I blame Triumph enthusiasts more than Moss or TRF.  As a
> group we are very cheap and only buy from the cheapest source and then
> mostly during a sale.  A good quality bumper with a first rate chrome
> plating would cost a lot more than a cheapo.  As a group we buy the
> cheapo almost every time.  As a group we force our suppliers to seek out
> ever cheaper parts sources.  Good chrome costs $$.

Well you are correct there! So maybe this comment should have been in your
original post???

> Please feel free to blame me for taking cheap shots at Moss and for
> taking cheap shots at cheap TR owners who are not willing to pay for
> higher quality parts.
>
> Nasty TeriAnn

Well like I said in an earlier post, I believe TRF provides high quailty for
the price. And if they all go under, what will we do? If you have an issue
with a supplier, I am sure they will listen and maybe replace parts etc.

And I am sure you are not Nasty!

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org